
During the first couple of weeks at my new job there were three visitors from Korea at my account. Two of them are the top chefs from Samsung Everland and the other is a dietitian for Samsung Everland. I was a bit irritated at first that I would have to play hostess for visitors while I was trying to learn my new job, but my frustration quickly dissolved once I started working with these individuals. The two chefs amazed me with their culinary skill and the pride that they took in their work. The dietitian was very kind and sweet and she had many questions for me about American life and I asked her about her life in Korea. It was a very enlightening experience.

We went to dinner together on a couple of occasions and I brought Joshua. Of course they all fell in love with him immediately. We all formed a bond that I never expected. I really found myself enjoying their company and they are all such kind and really hilarious people. We had fun joking and learning about each other's cultures. I found myself very sad when their time came to leave. They are on a whirlwind tour of the U.S. and left Austin to go to Colorado.

As many of you know, I am currently in Houston. I arrived last night to assist in Compass Group's opening of 17 Cafes for Exxon. My district manager made the Austin team wear bright red t-shirts that spoke of the importance of safety on our first day here. He said it would show Exxon that we are serious about safety. Well I played along even though the shirts are hideous because I knew we were all wearing them. So I got to my account in Houston and walked into a huge production. Boxes and people working all over the place. I did not recognize a single face, which is not uncommon in an opening, but I also did not see anyone else wearing a glowing red t-shirt. I was so embarrassed. I was asked a couple of times if I was with the Safety department, which is not shocking since I looked like a bright red cheerleader for it!
As I navigated my way through the crowd, my face growing brighter red than my shirt, I was just praying for a familiar face. Someone to ease my anxiety and make me feel a little better. As I turned the corner into a conference room to set down my laptop who do I see but my friends from Korea! Their faces lit up with excitement to see me and mine probably grew a little brighter as well. I was so thrilled to get to see them again and also thrilled to have some familiar faces with me. I walked over and they greeted me very kindly and we chatted for a few minutes. Everyone around was probably wondering how the "Safety Chic" knew these Korean people. It had to be a sight.
Turns out they are here to see our opening of Exxon as we will most likely do the same thing for many Samsung accounts in the future. I'm so happy to get a couple more days with my friends. Funny how a girl from Texas can feel so out of place in Houston until she sees her friends from Korea...
Until next time...peace and love...

